Monday, November 5, 2007

Vitex angus-castus and the fertility link

I’ve been taking Vitex in the second half of my cycle for around three cycles now but after reading some research may decide to take it my entire cycle (or at least start earlier than I have been).

Vitex is well known for balancing hormones during the menstrual cycle in women who are estrogen dominant.

It works by stimulating the pituitary gland to regulate the amounts of both estrogen and progesterone. If you don’t produce enough progesterone then your body can’t sustain a pregnancy (even if the egg does get fertilized) because there isn’t enough hormone to help the egg implant into the uterus.

Of course as you know I do have a luteal phase defect and have been taking both Vitamin B6 (whole cycle) and Vitex (second half) for the past few months and already I’m noticing a positive change.

Previously I only had a luteal phase of around 9 days but last cycle it lasted to 11 days!
I’m going to continue to take both vitamins for another few months to see what happens.

No comments: